Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saving lives... one at a time.

Earlier today our orchestra played at a local nursing home. We do this once a year for "ministry". Our goal today was to glorify God through music and to show others examples of homeschoolers and Christ-followers.

Before and during the performance we prayed that we would be able to be an example and a blessing to these people, but I wondered... "Is this really touching lives?", "Are they just waiting for us to be done?", "Can some of these people even hear?"

We finished, and I went up and sat by the door to wait for my parents (they were running errands). While I was waiting, a woman came up to me and started asking me about the homeschool group that we're in, homeschooling... etc. After a few minutes she went and sat down with a few other people. I heard her excitedly explaining to them what I had told her....

That made me smile. I remembered that God was concerned about each individual person. Even if she was the only one that cared, that's one person that we touched and were able to be a blessing to.

Remember that wherever you go, no matter what you're doing, you can set an example to the world of something different, something better! It may seem like no one cares, but usually, someone is watching! You have no idea how much one little act, opening a door, helping a sibling, a kind word, or a smile... etc. can brighten someone's day... or possibly change their life!

One more example:

Last month my sisters, brother and I were playing/singing at a different nursing home. While we were playing, one of the residents started talking to our mom. He asked her if we were homeschoolers. After she said yes, he started explaining how he could just tell by our countenance and joy and the way we treated each other (don't forget... your bright faces stand out!!!). A few days later we visited him in the nursing home, and the next week he started coming to our church!

Psalm 37:5-6
Commit your way to the LORD; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

"If all mankind had been righteous and only one man a sinner, Christ would have come to endure the same cross for this one man. He so loves every individual."
-St. Augustine

I hope you all have a blessed day of rest tomorrow!
Serving the King,
Marissa

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow, that's great, Marissa! You're right though... we may think no one's watching, but you never know who notices your actions and attitudes. Thanks for sharing that, dear friend! :)

~ Love in Christ,
Lindsay

Unknown said...

Wow... that is really ... AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing.
See you soon,Emma

Anonymous said...

Girls, I get such blessings and enjoyment from your postings! I am an almost 43 year old mother of two boys, and your blog is one of a few run by young ladies that I subscribe to. I am open to wisdom and learning wherever I can find it, and I am always pleased to find it among today's youth.

Thank you for yet another post that has blessed me!

Stephanie said...

definitely true! what a good reminder!

Also, I just wanted to let you guys know how much I have enjoyed worship lately at church. You guys really add a lot and it sounds great! :)

Anonymous said...

I would love for you to post. I will give you my mom's e-mail to send me the complete post and a picture of yourself.