Sunday, May 24, 2009

Living for Eternity

In church today we talked about living for eternity. Wow, it was a very convicting message. Something that I know, but really should be putting into practice much more.
I don't think I spend as much time thinking about this as I should. Everything I do is either going to only effect the temporal life here on this earth, or it is going to effect my life in eternity. I am trying to think of practical examples for this.....
1. If I decide to play out in the yard with my siblings, I could be doing it for the temporal or for the eternal. I could do it to get exercise, only for my own personal benefit, or I could be doing it to build into my siblings lives and building relationships with them. I would also be getting exercise in the process. Why would I want to do it for only the temporal it I could be doing it for the eternal at the same time?
2. If I am going to practice on of my instruments, I could do it for the temporal or the eternal. I could do it simply to get better for my own personal benefit, or I could adjust my focus so that I was doing it to get better for the Lord, so that I could better serve Him.
3. If I am helping my mom shop for groceries, I could be doing it for the temporal or eternal. I could do it simply to help her, or I could be building into lives while I do it. First of all, usually when I am doing this, it's with one of my siblings. Just seeing siblings get along is pretty rare in our world today. Also, maybe I could start a conversation with someone in the store or with the cashier. You never know what simply talking to a person can lead to. You may be able to change their life.

Anyway, I realized that I should constantly be thinking of what I can do to effect eternity.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
Thanks for reading!
In Christ Alone,
Marissa

No comments: